Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Sphinx


The Sphinx at the Masonic Temple.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.


I drove a friend downtown late in the evening, and then spent some time wandering around, feeling depressed, and half-heartedly looking for something to photograph. I had my tripod, and usually I enjoy taking time lapse photographs at night. But something about the night had me feeling down. Then, wouldn't you know it, the only place that catches my eye to photograph is the Sphinx by the Masonic Temple. The picture turned out nice, but it wasn't until I got home that I realized my father died at that very location a little more than 12 years ago. It was like that Sphinx watched over my father's passing, and then called me back all these years later.

Why did I end up there? What unresolved issue brought me back to that place, and does it have anything to do with how I've been feeling lately? Just when I think I'm done grieving, and have nothing left to give and no more tears to shed, some new layer of feeling reveals itself. What will I do now? What lessons will I learn that I didn't know before?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails