Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Grand Coulee


Grand Coulee Dam at night.
La Represa Gran Coulee de noche.

On Saturday, I drove to Wilbur, Washington in preparation for my family's annual outing to dig roots. Several of us rented rooms in a little motel on the main street in town.

That night, I was unable to fall asleep, so I got in my car and made the short drive to Grand Coulee Dam. It was a strange, almost haunting night. The air was humid and surprisingly warm. Distant flashes of lightning illuminated the blackened sky. Otherwise, the darkness was so complete that nothing was visible at all, except for a narrow row of reflectors marking the edge of the highway and fading into the endless horizon.

When I arrived in Grand Coulee, I was surprised by the smell of the air. Though I could not see them, the surrounding fields filled the air with the aroma of sage bathed in a recent rain.

Gran Coulee

El Sábado, fui en carro a Wilbur, Washington en preparación para la salida anual de mi familia para excavar raices. Algunos de nosotros reservamos habitaciones en un hotel en la calle principal del pueblo.

Esa noche, no pude dormir para nada; por tanto, subí a mi auto e hice el corto viaje a Gran Coulee. Fue una noche extraña y casi encantada. El aire estaba húmedo y sorprendentemente cálido. Los relámpagos distantes iluminaban el cielo negro. De otra manera, la oscuridad estaba tan completa que nada era visible, con la excepción de unos reflectores demarcando el borde de la carretera y desapareciendo al horizonte interminable.

Cuando llegué a Gran Coulee, me sorprendió el olor del aire. A pesar de que no los podía ver, los campos circundantes llenaban el aire con aroma de salvia bañada de una lluvia reciente.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails