Thursday, January 29, 2015

Moses


At the end of my writing class this morning, I took an informal survey of all the languages spoken by my students. It turns out that more than a dozen languages are represented in my classroom. Several of my students wrote my name in their respective languages. 

When I was living in Mexico, I discovered that the name "Barry" doesn't translate very well. In addition, the pronunciation is a somewhat strange. Nowadays, when I travel outside the United States, or when I work with international students, I ask people to call me "Moses" in their native language. My name becomes Moisés in Spanish, and Musa in Arabic. 

Once again, I love my students. It is a privilege to work with so many different cultures. 

Moisés

Al final de mi clase de composición esta mañana, tomé una encuesta informal sobre todos los idiomas que hablan mis estudiantes. Resulta que hay más de una docena de idiomas que tienen representación en mi salón. Varios estudiantes escribieron mi nombre en sus distintos idiomas. 

Cuando vivía en México, me di cuenta que el nombre "Barry" no se traduce bien. Además, la pronunciación me parece extraña. Actualmente, cuando viajo fuera de los Estados Unidos, o cuando trabajao con estudiantes internacionales, pido a la gente a que me llamen "Moisés" en sus idiomas nativos. Mi nombre se convierte en Moisés en español, y Musa en árabe. 

Aprecio a mis estudiantes. Es un privilegio trabajar con tantas culturas diferentes. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails