Thursday, January 27, 2011

Marriage Proposal


My co-worker received a marriage proposal from a complete stranger. I'm not joking.  

The other day, my co-worker Jessica came into work and said, "The funniest thing happened to me in Target." She was looking at art when a man with a thick accent approached her and said, "You're beautiful." She thanked him, and then he asked her to marry him! To seal the request, he handed her a wrinkled piece of paper that was handwritten and photocopied. (How personal is that?) I quote the letter with all grammar and spelling letters intact (although I erased the name and phone number):

Girl She is beauty itself. Me wish it is hard action to know a girl For interrelation, mutual, support, collaborate, contribute Ma name is _____ life lonely singl man apatrment necessity helper. littl speak english. I hope littl problem non at path happiness. (Here he provides his full name and two cell phone numbers). I always try to consult yo ur wishes. enclosure own Letter in envelope and to send appointed address on envelope.

In all my life, I've never heard of such a thing. We all laughed as she related the story, but now I'm not sure if it's funny or tragic. Did he really expect to find a wife or was this an immigration issue? Maybe his visa is about to expire. I suppose we'll never know, mostly because Jessica declined his marriage proposal and ran away.
 

The opposite side of the paper had a photocopied poem that read: "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength. Loving someone deeply gives you courage." 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails