Saturday, September 01, 2012

Reunion


Three or four months before our trip to Guatemala, I wrote letters to my dear friends Lourdes de León and her mother María Magdalena. Unfortunately, I never heard back, so I wasn't sure if they never received the letters or if they just didn't want to hear from me. Once we arrived in Quetzaltenango, I decided that I just had to have the answer, whatever the truth might be. 

When we arrived at the house, I rang the bell and waited for a response. María Magdalena opened the door, but I did not recognize her at first. Apparently, she did not recognize me either. But when I said my name, her face lit up and she threw her arms around me. Right away, she called for her daughter. When Lourdes saw me, she immediately recognized me and also threw her arms around me in a tight embrace. The happiness was immense. 

I did ask about the letters, but they did not receive them. 

Rhonda was still in the temple, but they invited us all back for lunch. It was a surprising, joyful reunion for all. 


María Magdalena is not a member of the LDS Church, but years ago, she rented a room of her house to the missionaries, and since I was in the same area twice, I got to spend a lot of time with this family. We became very close, though I regret to say that we drifted apart after I returned to the States. 



Lourdes now has a beautiful daughter. 





María brought us on a tour of the house. I have so many happy memories from that place; I can't even begin to say how wonderful it felt to return. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails