Monday, February 12, 2007

Bad Day...


Our dog Kelbie has only a few days left.

What a bad day!

I found out my son had a relapse and likely lost his job. I'm so angry, frustrated, scared, and sad all rolled into one. When will he ever learn? Every time the phone rings, I pray he's safe someplace like jail and not dead.

Adding to our heartbreak, we took our dog to the vet this afternoon and discovered she has terminal cancer. When I got home from work this evening, I broke the news to my three children, who understandably reacted with shock and grief. The doctor said we should take her home for a few days, say our goodbyes, and then put her to sleep before the pain sets in. I know it's the right thing to do, but it just sucks to see my kids cry and know their tender hearts are breaking.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I am so sorry Barry. I sorta know how you feel. I felt this way with K. and D. It is a feeling of hoplessness. I wanted to yell and scream at them. It is so frustrating because somtimes there is nothing you can do for them. They always say let them hit rock bottom yet that is so hard to watch. It seemed as if any words you gave them ment nothing to them. I was just learning about somthing in my child psychopatholgy course. The teacher was saying that when dealing with addiction it is better not to blame the person. He says that if the patient feels worthless and guilty they are less likly to recover. It makes sense to me. I think if a person feels guilty and feel that they can't control there addiction then they just give up. If they realize that it is a disease they see it is not so much there fault and that they need help to "cure" their disease. I think this gives them a little hope and a better sense of control.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails