Saturday, May 03, 2008

Coyote Spring



When Marcos visited my home from Ecuador, we traveled several times to the Spokane Indian Reservation. Each time, he asked me stop at a small natural spring a few miles past Seven Mile Bridge. I had told him when I was younger my family used to stop there for water, and I imagine our elders had done so before us. In fact, I seem to remember my yaya Messie told me about it when she was still alive. Well, Marcos was so impressed he insisted on stopping every time. He said that spring seemed like a spiritual doorway to our reservation.

Normally, I do not travel that way, and so I have not had the chance to stop at the spring since he left; however, I still pass Coyote Spring on my way up the hill. When I was a child, we used to stop there too. Some people affectionately call it Coyote Slobbers. Out of respect for what Marcos told me, I stopped there yesterday to give thanks.

Many years ago, someone put a pipe and a small pool to collect the water. Now the pool is overgrown with bright green vegetation, forming a sharp contrast with the dry yellow hillside all around. The highway passes only a few meters away, but in that moment all was quiet. All I could hear was the soft trickle of water and blowing of wind through the pine trees. These places make me feel a little lonely, and yet they also give an odd sense of comfort and connection to the past.

Fuente Coyote

Cuando Marcos visitó mi hogar del Ecuador, viajamos varias veces a la Reservación Indígena de Spokane. Cada vez que fuimos, él me pidió que nos paráramos cerca de una fuente natural de agua que está a unas millas más allá del Puente Siete Millas. Yo le había dicho que cuando era más joven mi familia paraba allí para tomar agua, y me imagino que nuestros mayores habían hecho lo mismo antes de nosotros. De hecho, me parece que recuerdo mi yaya Messie me contaba de eso cuando aún estaba viva. Bueno, Marcos se quedó tan impresionado que insistió en pararnos cada vez que pasábamos. El me dijo que la fuente le pareció como una puerta espiritual a la reservación.

Normalmente no paso por allí, y por tanto no he tenido la opertunidad de pararme en aquella fuente desde que Marcos se fue; sin embargo, aún paso por la Fuente Coyote subiendo el camino. Cuando era niño, mi familia se paraba para tomar agua allí también. Algunas personas la llaman cariñosamente Babosadas Coyote (o Coyote Babosea). Con respeto a lo que me dijo Marcos, me paré ayer para dar gracias.

Muchos años atrás, alguien puso un tubo y una picina pequeña allí para recoger el agua. Ahora la picina está sobrellena de vegetación verde brillante, formando un contraste fuerte con la ladera seca y amarilla a sus alrededores. La carretera pasa a unos pocos metros, pero en ese momento, todo estaba tranquilo. Lo único que escuchaba era el goteo suave de agua y el soplo de viento entre los pinos. Los lugares así me hacen sentir solitario, pero a la vez me dan un sentimiento de consuelo y conexión al pasado.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I think this was my favorite spring also. I liked all the green in it. I don't think I drank from it though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails