Saturday, February 09, 2013

Mask


Some time in 1999 or 2000, Rhonda and I created and facilitated a "Mask Workshop" where we explored the masks we wear when we conceal our authentic selves. As part of the workshop, we constructed tangible masks that represented some shadow aspect of our personality. 

This was my mask, painted with acrylic on an ordinary piece of card board. The eyes were cut out since I actually wore the mask at one point. 

I created this mask at a time in my life when I struggled to find my voice. I often felt powerless to express my own thoughts, even if I knew they were right. In a sense, this piece is also a self-portrait - a depiction of my fear and self-doubt. By creating a visual representation of my personal mask, I was able to also claim my wisdom just a little more. 

I love this piece. I love the simplicity and the memory of a wonderful workshop. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails