Monday, November 03, 2014

The Funeral


The community gathered recently on the Kalispel Indian Reservation to remember the life of my auntie Libby. It was a service made beautiful by traditional clothing, singing, and prayers. Many of the women wore wing dresses and colorful head scarves, while the men wore ribbon shirts. A chorus of Salish speakers sang the old Indian hymns - just as I remember from my childhood - and elders delivered prayers in the Kalispel language. The sadness was real, but the love was also real. I can't imagine a better way for my aunt to begin her journey to the other side. 


A temporary marker on Libby's grave. 


Flowers.


The cemetery. 


A view of the Pend Oreille River on our return drive. 


More scenery from the drive home...


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails