Friday, May 01, 2009

Inti Tayta


Inti Tayta, originally uploaded by sulustumoses.

Reflecting on the Ecuador exchange, I'm impressed by the reverence the Kichwa people express toward the sun and all of creation. During one of the dances, Rodrigo lifted his hands toward the sky and cried out, "Yupaichani Inti Tayta..." (Thank You Sun Father...) As he spoke these words, I felt my heart beat stronger.

The connection is especially interesting because the Spokane Tribe is also named for the Sun. In fact, the word Spokane literally means the "Sun." It makes me wonder what ancient, forgotten relationship exists between the Sun and my ancestors.

The Sun plays a major part of their ritual life, and perhaps this was also true for us at one time.

As another interesting connection, Janet told me that the image of the Sun appeared on the ground after the Ecuador youth danced on the Nez Perce Reservation. Their footsteps left a pattern like rays of light shining from a circle on the earth.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

I love this photo. Very pretty.

Barry Moses (Sulustu) said...

Thanks. I am quite proud of it actually. I took this picture in front of the Holiday Inn Express in Lewiston, Idaho. Nothing glamorous, but the sun made the shot.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails