Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Elderberries





My appreciation for the land continues to grow.

The other day, I picked two and a half gallons of elderberries with my mom and my sister. My intention is to create a cold/flu syrup that my children would be willing to take. We already know a number of effective cold remedies, but my children cannot stand the bitter taste. Hopefully the elderberries will create a more tolerable medicine.





Elderberries have been used for many years as a common folk remedy, but recent scientific tests have confirmed traditional wisdom. While they do not necessarily prevent sickness, elderberry extracts have been shown to shorten the duration of colds and flu.



Some elderberry links worth reading:

Elderberry Benefits

Elderberry Prevents H1N1

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That syrup is a very popular cold remedy in Europe. I really wanted to make some myself this year, but thought I'd missed the season while traveling. I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails