Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fashion Show


The Institute for Extended Learning sponsors a yearly fashion show to highlight the proper way to dress during a job interview. But first, the faculty members take the stage in outfits that demonstrate how NOT to dress in a professional setting: sweats, pajamas, sports jerseys, black leather, etc. 

A few weeks ago, I was recruited to model my own "inappropriate" outfit.

When I took the runway this afternoon, I wore a black t-shirt and saggy jeans. I also wore my hair down, complete with a cigarette hanging from a bandanna headband. The announcer jokingly told the audience that I looked like I had just come in from work release at Geiger Correctional Facility. My colleagues got a good laugh at my expense, but I suppose it's all for a good cause.

Some asked if we can now put "super model" on our resumes.




Taking the runway was a nerve racking experience. When I agreed to model, I had no idea that 250 people would pack the house. Everyone cheered, so that made my task a little easier than expected.

After the faculty model the inappropriate interview attire, the students model the correct outfits. It's a great way for students to practice professionalism and to build their confidence.  


At the end of the event, the students receive a professional outfit that has been donated by the community. The IEL Fashion Show is a fun, educational event that also creates tremendous value for our students and the community. It makes me proud to work for such a great organization.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails