Thursday, January 18, 2007

Cold and Alone



When I was a child, I used to have this horrible, recurring dream about getting lost in a strange, faraway city. I would find myself wandering the dark, gray streets feeling cold and desperately alone. The crowds of people hardly paused to notice my distress, and those who saw me seemed to look with suspicion. Pitifully, I searched in vain to find my parents, friends, or relatives.

On some level, I was always a stranger, even among my closest friends.

As I did my errands in downtown Spokane this week, I was reminded of my childhood dreams. On days like today, I sometimes wish I could hibernate during the bleakest months of winter, and awake when the air is warm and the sun shines brightly in the sky.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails