Saturday, January 06, 2007

Hairspray



Rhonda and I got tickets to see the Broadway musical Hairspray as a Christmas gift. We went to the show this afternoon and had a wonderful time. The production is something of a twisted comedy, bordering on ridiculous, but if I'm in the right mood, I end up laughing my head off when I watch it. As things turned out, the mood was perfect. We laughed and kept on laughing long after the show ended.

Through all our laughter, there really is a serious message underneath the crazy jokes by Edna Turnblad and company. The story brings us back to the days of segregation and the resulting struggle to integrate the races. I wonder how much we learned from the Civil Rights Movement, and how far we have to go.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails