Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Decay and Renewal



The neighborhood surrounding my workplace reminds me something I heard once about urban decay. Once thriving businesses sometimes relocate, leaving emptiness or economic depression behind. To show my point, we occupy an old supermarket building, across the parking lot from yet another old supermarket. Various other buildings sit abandoned nearby.

The decay doesn't bother me, however. Actually, it creates an interesting opportunity for growth.

My GED students come to us for a wide variety of reasons. Some take my class because they were home-schooled and now they seek some kind of diploma or completion certificate. Others sign up for my class because they once faced the decay of their own lives, and now strive for something better. I'm pleased to say many of my students succeeded this quarter. They faced whatever challenges confronted them, and earned their GED. From decay springs renewal, and that is the promise of education.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails