Thursday, July 12, 2007

Portland Zoo







We visited the Portland Zoo during our recent trip. The last time I went, my father was still alive, almost 20 years ago. Of course, much has changed. Last time, it took us about 2 hours to see everything. This time we spent 7 hours walking the many exhibits, and we still didn't see it all. The facilities were greatly improved, with magnificent, natural-looking habitats.

I enjoyed our visit, but I have mixed feelings about zoos in general. Something about seeing the animals trapped behind bars and glass causes no small amount of grief within me; however, I sometimes think there are millions of people in the world who would never give a second thought to endangered species if they didn't have the chance to see them up close. I wonder if these few representatives will inspire enough people to care about saving the natural diversity of our planet.

After visiting the Portland Zoo, I certainly feel a deeper concern for the continuation of animals everywhere.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails