Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Somebody


Stanton practicing the chords...

On Friday afternoon, I visited my friend Stanton near Tum Tum and rehearsed a song for Rhonda's birthday party. Stanton simply listened to a recording of the song and picked out the chords on his guitar. He then played the background while I sang.

The song I chose was "Somebody," by Depeche Mode, which is spoken from a man's perspective who looks for the love of a woman who will speak honestly and listen deeply in the relationship. He says, "Though my views may be wrong, they may even be perverted, she'll hear me out and won't easily be converted to my way of thinking, in fact, she'll often disagree, but at the end of it all, she will understand me."

Somehow we chose that as "our" song way back in the day when we were newly married, though we had no idea how much our lives would one day grow to resemble the song. My wife and I started with very similar views, and slowly grew apart in our political and religious ideologies. Even so, our relationship intensified through the pain and our love took on more meaning than ever before.

I performed the song on Saturday to Rhonda's surprise. She was delighted and everyone else seemed to enjoy the song. Several people asked if I wrote the song. They were amazed how well it fit our relationship.

Thank you Stanton for helping me express my heart on Rhonda's Day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails