Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day


This afternoon, I observed Earth Day by visiting Drumheller Springs to photograph the flowers. The weather has been somewhat dreary, if not depressing, but today was perfect. The sky was clear and the temperature was above 80 degrees.

It's too early for camas flowers, so I was surprised to see the field covered in blue. On closer examination, I discovered that the blue flowers are actually Idaho blue-eyed-grass. It really is quite remarkable that every flower seems to have its day in the sun, as if it were the only one.


Idaho blue-eyed-grass.
Sisyrinchium idahoense.


The arrow-leaf balsamroot was not quite blooming.
Balsamorhiza sagittata.


Narrow-leaved desert parsley.
Lomatium triternatum.


Yellow flowering currant.
Ribes aureum.


Yellow bell.
Fritillaria pudica.


Bitterroot (without the flower).
Lewisia rediviva.


Spreading phlox (I believe).
Phlox diffusa.


I can't tell you how happy it makes
me feel to see all these faces again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's my birthday!! Great blog for Earth Day! Love the pictures, they show the wonderful plants that God has given us! =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails