Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Theft

My son called me at work this evening and asked if I took the laptop computer. It did not take us long to compare notes and realize that the computer was missing. Apparently, someone walked through the front door and grabbed whatever items were close at hand. They also took the kids' Wii and my digital camera. As far as we can tell, nothing else was removed.

Mostly, I feel annoyed. These items are all replaceable, but we worked for them. In fact, my son saved his own money to buy the Wii.

We filed a police report and were able to provide serial numbers for the computer and the Wii. The officer said that all the local pawn shops report items received into a police database. That way, if our serial numbers show up, we have a chance of recovering at least some of the items. We also have a chance of identifying the thief.

Unfortunately, I have managed to misplace the serial number for the camera. I've probably lost it forever, and for the time being, I am blogging without pictures. And sadly, a blog without pictures is like a life without color.

*

By the way, you might want to be aware of something else the officer said. He told us that a common crime these days is for thieves to actually knock on your front door. If no one answers, they try the door handle. If the door opens, they run in, grab a few handy items, and run out. Usually the crime takes only two or three minutes. Just a word to the wise to keep your doors locked.

2 comments:

The Abel family said...

I am so sorry for your family! Not only is it sad they took your things, but you must feel so violated. We keep our doors locked, but will make it even more of a priority. I wonder what happens if someone does answer the door when a burglar knocks?

The Abel family said...

I am so sorry for you and your family! Not only are you with out your things, you must feel so violated. We do keep our doors locked, but I will make an extra effort to do so now. I was wondering what happens if someone does answer the door when a burglar knocks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails