Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Bubbles the Bunny


Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.

My son got a baby rabbit from our neighbors down the street and named it Bubbles. He treats that animal like a dream come true, and I suppose for him it is.

I was surpised by how many of my own issues and judgments came up about the whole thing. For starters, I always hated cutesie names like Bubbles, or Mittens (for cats). I prefer something more orginal and "solid." Second, I never cared for rabbits as pets. They seem so jittery and unlovable.

I know, I'm just old and callused. But if I'm totally honest, I remember my auntie got me two little rabbits when I was about Dakota's age. And yes, just like Dakota, I begged and begged until my dad finally relented. I loved those bunnies, and I probably even gave them cute names, but my dad made me keep them in a cage outdoors and the neighbor kids let them escape. I think the coyotes ate them. I was heartbroken, so maybe that explains my "issues" with pets.

Whatever the source of my judgment, I decided pretty early on to resolve my issue privately and not spoil Dakota's delight. Maybe he can have a better childhood experience than I did. And besides, as it hops around our house I think it really IS cute, after all.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I love buhoney hoppers!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails