Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Distractions


The Greek Orthodox Church of Spokane.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.


My family drove by the Greek Orthodox Church this afternoon and observed workers installing copper tiles on the roof. It seems before the roof was made of plain grey stucco or concrete; hardly befitting the natural beauty of the towers and walls, but now the copper reflects the sunlight like a beacon and nearly stopped me in the middle of a busy intersection. In fact, I did return by circling around the block and got out to take pictures. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to find the perfect shot behind all the wires and visual distractions.

Somehow my experience with the church reminded me of my relationship with God in this moment. I see the light reflecting into my life, but when I try to focus on what matters most, I feel distracted by problems, deadines, and discouraging thoughts.

Even so, I refuse to end on a negative note. Perhaps we can take this one lesson: to always appreciate beauty where ever we find it. We can ruin any moment by concentrating on the distractions, and we can find the blessing in the midst of any problem. Every moment contains elements of both positive and negative. Our experience depends on what we choose to notice. I'm thankful for receiving this teaching today.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails