Monday, May 15, 2006

Project Self-Sufficiency


School busses parked in "downtown" Wellpinit.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.



Controls on an abandoned firetruck.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.

The Community Colleges of Spokane and Spokane Tribal TANF recently created a collaborative contract for adult learners and hired me to teach a class called Project Self-Sufficiency. I present lessons twice a week to a group ranging from 10 to 16 students. So far, it has been really fun.

I enjoy teaching in Wellpinit because of its proximity to my family and cultural center, but also because I love to see the layers of history everywhere evident. For example, I recently posted several photographs of an abandoned house from the 1930s or 40s. Right behind my work site is an old fire truck from many years ago. Some people would call it junk, but it holds my attention and excites my imagination.

As a history teacher, I see history everywhere. History is not dead, but lives in everyone and everything.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails