Sunday, July 30, 2006

Wellpinit Youth Explosion


Visitors from Korea sang at the drum.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.



My Auntie Darlene sang at the drum.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.

The Christian community on the Spokane Reservation pulled together an event for young people called the "Youth Explosion." The kids gathered on the Wellpinit Fairgrounds and heard Bible messages, drumming, singing, and other traditional arts. Francesca invited me. It was a lot of fun. I think the highlight for me was singing at the drum with Francis and Connie. Other people joined in the singing, including my Auntie Darlene. At one point, it was like the Holy Ghost fell on us, Indian style, and people started dancing and hollering. It was a wonderful experience.

The other highlight for me was when a group of people from Korea sang traditional songs from their country on our drum. It was beautiful and haunting all at the same time. Except for the words, the songs sounded just like they came from Indian country.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails