Sunday, September 03, 2006

Moses Family Dinner


The Moses Family has a dinner every year.

Every year my family has a dinner on the Sunday of Wellpinit Powwow, led by my cousin Diane Moses. Her father Sam Moses sponsored the dinner before her, and my ya-ya Messie Moses Haines sponsored the dinner before that. It has become quite a tradition.

I remember when I was a little boy, every family had a designated campsite, and all the families used to build "cook shacks," complete with pot belly stoves and all the basic necessities of a normal kitchen. All the shacks and tepees on the powwow grounds reminded me of a small, frontier town. I also remember running errands for my ya-ya when she cooked; "Barry, we need another sack of flour," I can still hear her voice giving out orders, "We need more water. Help your brother carry groceries..." It was the one time of year I didn't mind pitching in and working hard, because I knew in the end I would get a taste of my ya-ya's fry bread and stew. It is wonderful memory for me.

All these years later, I'm so glad to see my cousin carry on the tradition of our grandparents. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails