Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Sisters



Several weeks ago both sister missionaries in the Brentwood Ward were transferred out at the same time. We were very disappointed, until we met the new sisters, Sister Watkins from Saint Louis, Missouri and Sister Evans from Sandy, Utah. They joined us tonight for dinner, dessert, and a spiritual thought.

According to my tradition, I asked each missionary for a quote. Sister Evans quoted the Book of Mormon in a selection on prayer, Alma 34:17-27. I was especially moved by verse 26 where the prophet admonishes: "...pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness." That one verse made me remember all the wilderness places in my life, and all the times I cried unto God for mercy.

Sister Watkins quoted President Benson: "Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life."

Amen.

After all these years, I'm still grateful to know the missionaries, and to receive them into my home.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails