Sunday, November 25, 2007

Cattail Dolls


Liz and my children holding their new dolls.


Dakota was our hero doll maker.

My family made cattail dolls with Liz and Steve from Vision Mountain.

A few weeks ago, McKenna first saw cattail dolls at the Twin Eagles Wilderness School near Sandpoint, Idaho. She begged and begged to make them, but the activity had already passed. She must have cried for 20 minutes on the drive home. As it turns out, our friend Liz was the teacher for that event, so she invited us to her house for a special teaching session.

My kids really enjoyed making the dolls, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it myself.

The dolls remind me of something I once heard my father talk about. The dolls are playthings for children, but he suggested they were also sacred item. I can't remember the whole story, but it seems I remember him talking about the medicine in these "little people." I'll have to pray real hard to remember the secret.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

What are they made of?

Barry Moses (Sulustu) said...

They're made out of cattails.

Chelle said...

Oh, they didn't look like it. I thoght they were called cattail dolls for some other reason.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails