Thursday, April 30, 2009

Plants of the Wild


Mom, originally uploaded by sulustumoses.



Various 167, originally uploaded by sulustumoses.


A couple days ago, my mother and I made something of a pilgrimage to Plants of the Wild in Tekoa Washington. They specialize in plants native to Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho.

The purpose of our journey was to purchase plants native to this region to replace some of the foreign species in our yards. For me, these plants are part of my cultural and spiritual heritage, but they also allow me to consume fewer natural resources. Instead of using plants that require large amounts of water or chemical fertilzers, I chose plants that naturally thrive in this particular climate. In this small way, I contribute to the overall health of our community.

And besides the cultural and ecological intentions of our trip, I got to enjoy a much needed visit with my mom.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails