Thursday, September 19, 2013

Deccio Award



My head is still spinning from an award that was made this morning at the Fall Convocation for the faculty and staff of Spokane Community College. Today I received the Deccio Award for Excellence in Equity. According to one college website, "the award is given for demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and respect for others in personal and professional life; a commitment to fostering an appreciation for diversity and the strengths it brings to the community colleges; and a commitment to the mission of the colleges."

To be honest, I really can't imagine why I received this award, especially when I saw the other nominees and all their amazing contributions to the college. It was a truly humbling experience, but they said some very nice things about me, and if anything, I see this award as an opportunity to promote equity and diversity within the district and the larger Spokane community. 





CCS Chancellor Dr. Johnson congratulated me
at the moment the award was announced. 


Angela Wizner and Dr. Johnson 
presented the award. 


The award. 


One funny side-note: there was some confusion with the medal. Apparently, the order was not made in time, so they gave me a temporary medal. When I looked at the inscription on the back, I was surprised to see the name of my friend and colleague Dr. James Mohr. I couldn't stop laughing. Anyone who ever attended meetings with Jim will remember that he always liked to keep things rolling with "food, fun, and fabulousness." 

Someone on the committee asked if they could take the medal back until I received my own. I said, "Heck no! I'm going to wear this medal all day. How often does anyone get to be the fabulous Jim Mohr?" Unfortunately, I just don't think my brain is wired to be quite as fabulous as Jim. Even so, I couldn't pass up my opportunity to try. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the award Barry! I too see the brilliance, equity, respect, and love for all people that flows through you. Percy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails