Monday, September 16, 2013

Salish Archive


As part of my doctoral research at Gonzaga University, I was able to see a number of old Salish documents held in the special collections archive. For example, I was able to see an original "Kalispel Dictionary" published by Father Giorda in 1870. The book was still bound in its original deerskin cover. Other documents were handwritten in Latin and Salish. 

The document pictured here is a sample of "Our First Communion," written by Reverend Kelly. The original book was written in English, but handwritten Salish notes follow the text. I will post one other sample tomorrow. 

(These samples were posted under the terms of "fair use" and do not constitute an attempt to reproduce the entire text).  


o jesus, qe k'ʷul'ncutn
Oh Jesus, our Creator.


Saint Ignatius of Loyola. 


I included the stature as part of the 'faces' 
depicted the other day. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails