Friday, March 24, 2006

Liberty Park


The Old Stairs at Liberty Park.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.

Every now and then, my sister and I set out on some wild adventure to photograph the most interesting, noteworthy, or memorable places in Spokane. But I have to say, it's not always easy to maintain interest. This is Spokane, after all. Sometimes we have to get creative.

Motivated by a whim, we drove around Spokane this afternoon looking for some old, abandoned buildings. Unfortunately, everywhere we looked, developers arrived before we did and transformed the ruins of past buildings into upscale condominiums or office suites. It's good for business, I suppose, but I think old places make better pictures somehow.

We did see something moderately intriguing in the form of Liberty Park on the Spokane east side. I've passed it a million times on the freeway, but I never stopped there until now. The park has a wonderful display of ancient basalt exposed to the elements and a wonderful rock staircase leading toward the lower South Hill. The stairs looked old, and as you can imagine, they held my interest longer than anything else. We might have stayed longer, but my sister didn't feel well, and sadly, Liberty Park seemed to live up to its reputation as a place of questionable transactions. During our short visit, we saw men in business suits driving fancy cars conversing with people who look like they sleep under bridges.

Curious, isn't it? We had fun, but I don't think I'll be bringing the kids any time soon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails