Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Writing My Profile


This photograph typifies my search for meaning in life. We took this picture several years ago at the US-Canadian border near Blaine, Washington.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.


After hours of struggling to find the right words, I finally produced a single paragraph to display in my public profile. I can't believe how hard it was for me to accurately describe my experience to others. As I indicated in my profile, I am a husband, father, teacher, counselor, and many other outward characteristics, and yet, none of this is who I really am. In fact, I've spent the better part of my life knowing there is some intangible quality to my being, but I've never been able to really talk about it. Labels identify us, and yet they also limit.

This is what I finally wrote:

"My life is defined by many outward roles: husband, father, college instructor, counselor, and others; however, the true source of human experience is both invisible and intangible. It’s what we call spirit. I find pieces of life’s deeper meaning by observing spirituality, religion, family, indigenous cultures, nature, art, symbolism, dreams, tradition, and living social movements. My writing and photography provide a way to practice what matters most in life."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails