Thursday, September 17, 2009

Alive



At 6:00 this morning, I was startled awake by the crash of thunder above my house. My wife gasped and the dog stirred from his spot on the floor. Within a few minutes, the steady drone of falling rain lulled me back to sleep, like when a mother soothes a newborn baby.

On my way to work, our local Christian radio played a song by Matt Maher: "I'm Alive Again." The first part of the song says:

I woke up in darkness
surrounded by silence
oh where, where have I gone?
I woke to reality
losing its grip on me
oh where, where have I gone?

Cause I can see the light
before I see the sunrise

You called and you shouted
broke through my deafness
now I’m breathing in
and breathing out
I’m alive again!

You shattered my darkness
washed away my blindness
now I’m breathing in
and breathing out
I’m alive again!


I'm not sure why these words affected me so much; as I drove down the street, I started to cry. All I can say is that I felt the invisible Hand of God working through all the dark places of my life. Some heartaches can never be spoken, but God knows the way to wholeness and peace. From that space of perfection, I see God's love in everything; all of nature abounds with wisdom and grace, and I am grateful to be alive.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails