Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lucy Peuse



Lucy Peuse was an esteemed elder of the Spokane Tribe from a few years ago, and as my grandfather's half-sister, she was actually a very close relative. She lived almost a hundred years and passed away in 1990.

When I was a small child, I remember Lucy.

My father used to rent an old trailer house that belonged to Catherine Andrews, Lucy's daughter. Many times my father sent me to see Catherine to deliver rent payments or to give some kind of message. A few times, Catherine invited me into the house.

Lucy was always present when I visited Catherine's home. I assume she must have cared for her mother in her old age. One time, Catherine smiled toward Lucy and said to me, "Say hello. This is your tupye (great grandparent)." She paused and corrected herself, "No, she is your qene (grandmother or grandaunt). This is Lucy, your qene." At the time, I didn't think to ask any questions about her exact relationship to me. Mostly Catherine must have thought it was important for me to know my elder. Years later, I learned that she was my grandfather's half-sister.

I haven't thought about my relative Lucy Peuse in many years. I was reminded because my cousin Chad sent me a recording with her telling old Spokane stories.

2 comments:

cieldequimper said...

You have obviously got her in your heart which is what matters.

Barry Moses (Sulustu) said...

This really is what matters most. Thanks for reminding me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails