Monday, June 18, 2007

Dragonfly



I was busily working on home repairs when my daughters came in the house with a look of disgust and fear. "What's the matter?" I asked. They pulled me outside by the hand and showed me the biggest dragonfly I ever saw resting comfortably on my car door. They wanted me to kill to it and insisted they could not resume playing until they knew for sure it was dead.

Instead of killing it, I ran inside for my camera and took pictures. After a short while, I finally shooed it away and made my daughters feel right with the world again.

Seeing this dragonfly reminds me that my sister and several others coincidentally asked me what meaning these interesting insects hold in Plateau Salish culture. Actually, I never heard any Salish stories about dragonflies, so I didn't know how to respond. Any thoughts?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails