Saturday, September 22, 2007

Chichen Itza #3





We visited the ruins at Chichen Itza. I don't care to recount the history of each pyramid or temple in this blog, but rather I wish to speak something of our experience there.

For many years I have told my wife we should visit the ruins at Chichen Itza, Tikal, or one of the other major sites. She happily agreed, but I'm not sure she expected what she saw. When we arrived and began to observe not just one of two buildings, but an entire city, she was amazed. I think she expected something much smaller.

Even my children were impressed. My daughter McKenna is generally unmoved by anything outside her sphere of interest, and yet she ran between buildings saying over and over again, "This is so cool!" Even after the trip, my 8 year old daughter says Chichen Itza was one of her favorite memories of Mexico.

Who can blame them for their reaction? It still amazes me every time to think an entire civilization once dedicated themselves to building such magnificent structures and cultural achievements.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails