Monday, June 26, 2006

Berniece Chandler


Berniece Chandler's grave.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.

During our visit to Idaho Falls, we also paid our respects at the grave of Rhonda's beloved aunt Berniece Chandler.

I met Berniece only twice. Back in 1990 she made a brief stop to Spokane and insisted on seeing Rhonda's new boyfriend (me). We spoke all of about 10 minutes, but in that short time, I came to know something of her characteristic enthusiasm and love for life. The following year, we visited her at home in Idaho Falls on my way to the Missionary Training Center. Cancer decimated her body and left only a shell of her former self; and yet, she lost none of her passion or love.

She died a few months later.

Even though I met Berniece only twice, I feel like I know her through my wife's memory. Berniece quite nearly achieved sainthood in the eyes of the loving family members she left behind. I have no doubt she looks down from heaven and smiles; and like a saint, she may even intercede for those still struggling through this earthly experience.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails