Monday, June 26, 2006

Grandma Great


Grandma Great at the Idaho Falls Temple.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.

Rhonda's grandmother stayed with us the last few weeks, and made the drive to Utah with my family. She turned 90 years old this year and is now a great great grandmother. We call her Grandma Great with all the love and affection in the world.

During our trip, she told us about marrying the love of her life in the Idaho Falls Temple. She spoke fondly of her life with Grandpa Merchant and their tender last moments together when he passed away last year. As she ponders the temple, she speaks with conviction of the day when she will hold her husband again in the eternities. They were married in life for over 50 years. Her continuing love and devotion inspire me.

I love Grandma Great, and I know she loves me. Every once in a while she wonders why I stopped going to church and looks at me with something like bewliderment or confusion, but in those moments, the love and respect never fade away. It seems entirely irrelevant to discuss differences in theology or life experiences, rather I just throw my arms around her and tell her how much I love her. That's all that really matters anyway.

Grandma Great is an example to me and everyone in the family. I hope I can live as long and as happy as her.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails