Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration



Whitney documented her observation of the inaugural ceremony, while her sister McKenna looked on.



My daughters and I observed Barack Obama take the presidential oath of office at 9:00 a.m. this morning via live television. We saw history unfold right before us and my daughters documented the event by drawing portraits of our new president. They arrived late to school, but the inauguration was too important to miss. The secretary said several others were also late to school for the same reason.



I encourage all my readers to follow the example of my daughters and to take a few minutes to write in your journal, or to start a journal. If you will document your thoughts and feelings of these historic events, you leave a treasure for future generations. As a genealogist and high school history teacher, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of leaving a personal record for those who follow. As we bear witness to history, whether momentous or mundane, our descendants will thank us.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails