Thursday, January 01, 2009

Parade



First Night Spokane began with a parade from the Convention Center. Well, it wasn't so much of a parade as simply a march of people through icy streets. Despite the cold, a festive atmosphere prevailed while a marching band played, "Oh when the saints go marching in..." and children blew into a cacophony of noise-makers. Many people wore outrageous costumes and hats while waving banners, flags, and balloons.





My friend Bea Lackaff dressed up in her most fabulous crazy-clothes. When I asked about marching in the parade, she said, "If you're human, you get to march. I guess that's why I qualify." I suppose we also qualified, because we marched.



Several times throughout the evening, people asked what the flags represent. Despite their apparent similarity to another rainbow colored flag, they simply represent First Night Spokane.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails