Thursday, August 13, 2009

Commitment

Thanks to everyone who offered interpretations or opinions about my dream. After reading various perspectives, I don't think the dream speaks of a literal death; however, I do think a major life change may soon appear on the horizon.

Last night, my dream seemed to confirm the notion of some important transition.

In my dream, a group of Army recruiters approached me about enlisting. Of course, I'm too old to enlist at this stage of my life, but dream rules always allow for strange exceptions to real world events. If this happened in my waking life, I think I would run away, but in my dream reality, I happily consented. In fact, I was excited to go. But just as I reached for the pen to sign the dotted line, the military doctor signed my name. "Why'd you do that?" I protested.

"I have authority to sign for other people," he said.

"If you have authority to sign for me," I said, "You could have enlisted me years ago against my will."

He nodded. "You're right, but you wouldn't have been ready before. What good would that do?"

* * *

Oddly enough, this dream seems to fit my previous dream about death. If we reduce my first dream to a single, powerful statement, I would have to say that I was "taking the leap." If you think about it, that's not very different than "signing the contract." Both images involve a high level of commitment that prevents any return to a former state.

All this makes me think that some important commitment or change is just around the corner. Any thoughts?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails