Friday, April 28, 2006

The Bowl and Pitcher


The "pitcher" is visible toward the left.
Which one is the "bowl?"
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.


A suspension bridge crosses the rapids.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.

The Bowl and Pitcher is one of the most striking geological features of the Spokane area. The massive basalt formations give evidence of a distant volcanic past and form a spectacular set of white water rapids along the Spokane River. The rocks are said to resemble a giant bowl and pitcher (hence the name), though I could never tell which of all the rock formations most resembles a bowl. The pitcher is obvious.

My sister and I spent several hours hiking through the various trails and photographing the beautiful scenery. I have to say this area is one of my favorite places to see in Spokane.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails