Monday, April 17, 2006

The Suzuki Method



Rhonda and I accompanied our son Dakota for an introductory piano lesson with Karlyn Brett, who I respect as one of the greatest musicians I've ever known up close. We sang under her direction for years in a variety of choirs associated with the LDS Church. I love how she always demanded excellence from me as a vocal performer, and I'm honored she now teaches my son.

During this introductory lesson, she spoke of the Suzuki Method, created by Dr. Shinichi Suzuki (pictured above). I will not attempt to recount that method here, except to say children learn best by listening before attempting to master theory. Her words inspire me to reconsider how I teach my children in other areas. Do I lead by example, or by precept only?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails