Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Campbell House


Formal Dining Room at the Campbell House.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.

During College Night at the MAC, Dakota and I got to tour the Campbell House, which Dakota has been dying to see ever since he found out I about my internship at the MAC. I've seen the Campbell House a dozen times or more during my life, but I learned something about it I never knew before. The main portion of the house is adorned with ornate paneling made of fine imported wood. In contrast, the servants' portion of the house is decorated with cheaper, local wood. I know people from that time period placed heavy emphasis on the separation of class, but I would have never imagined the class division was reinforced by the architechture. The very walls reminded common people where they stood in relation to the rich and powerful!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails